Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Privacy


When anyone decides to use social media to communicate with others, privacy goes right out the door.  I view the internet like the galaxy, just open air space where information is sent and is up for grabs once sent out there.  It's so important to monitor what we decide to let others know about us through computers.  We have to be careful what private information we transmit online as well, such as credit cards, social security numbers and credit accounts, etc.  I believe that there is some huge data base out there that keeps every single piece of information that has been sent by any individual over the internet. 

One of the social medias that has me nervous at times is Skype for work.  Using Skype in most companies comes with the Outlook software and many people use the instant messaging feature since it's much quicker than sending an email and waiting for a response.  However, I do think sometimes there are those that use it to chat with other employees about private issues, and other topics that you wouldn't want your boss to ever know.  Reason this media makes me nervous is because I'm unsure if there is a huge database that has stored every single conversation that I've had on it (lol).  I'll admit, there are some things I perhaps shouldn't have written using it, but hey, what's done is done and let's keep our fingers crossed that I'm never under investigation for gossiping, lol.

People also perceive individuals based on what they expose about themselves, whether it be visual or through our words.  So it's important on what information we put out about ourselves using social media.  It's bad enough that we have all types of miscommunications when we speak, imagine what occurs visually (shakes my head).  In any case people shouldn't expect any one to not have some type of access to them once information is transmitted through social media.  My motto is, if you don't want it to be known, then do not put it out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment